Help Complete Noob, looking for confirmation and advice!

Hello, Im trying to build a LED panel to use in a stage production, its super low budget so this is being funded myself. The screen needs to be mobile and controlled remotely, i’ve got power sorted (a repurposed UPS) but looking for a solution that will allow me to broadcast content to the screen, or start and stop content remotely.

Im looking to use 14 32x64 rgb panels in a 7 wide and 2 high configuration, connected to a RPi 3 B+, i currently have a copy of Mad Mapper that controls my other LED fixtures (led viking helmets and a light up cane) i was hoping to be able to add the LED screen to mad mapper and run it as either a NDI or via DMX (although i feel this might be too much information for an AP to pass effectively).

I made a prototype using ESP32 chips (one chip per 32x64 panel) and attempted to stream the data via DMX over wifi from MadMapper but the end result was disappointing, the router couldn’t pass enough data to the chips and the refresh and video was glitchy and unuseable. Hence trying to find an alternative method.

I’ve come this far with the idea, but have hit a bit of a roadblock and google isn’t helping me get past it. I know im not far away from an answer but just cant seem to get there, Using this lib can i achieve the desired result? Does anyone have any advice or tips?

main requirements once again : mobile, remote controlled via madmapper/midi over wifi/ OSC and scaleable.

Thanks for reading this far!

Hi,
some ways to go from here, maybe the minimad could be a solution, but i would go with osc controlled vlc or scripts. Via madmapper you could export your content in the required resolution and send this via network to your flaschen-taschen server.
vlc --vout flaschen --flaschen-display=192.168.1.7 --flaschen-width=64 --flaschen-height=64 “LA LINEA – odcinek 101-156 | Balum Balum | film animowany | kreskówka | serial animowany | Pan Linia - YouTube” --loop
here i loop a youtube video on my panel. (the discourse is translating the link to the title)
doing the vlc on the pi might be a performance issue, but from my notbook via ethernet it works very well.
but it depend on the content you plan to use, with osc script you can use the provided samples for text, images, demos and vlc as well.

1 Like

Hey Jens,

Thanks for your reply!

Im waiting for my pi to arrive (post has been delayed) so cant test any code at the moment, forgive me if im being a bit dense, but with the flaschen vlc server on the pi, can i stream to it from anything that will send via an ip address or does it have to come from VLC on a “master” computer?

Maybe thngs are much simpler,
if you read GitHub - hzeller/rpi-matrix-pixelpusher: PixelPusher protocol for LED matrix. that works with artnet as well as your madmapper https://www.madmapper.com/download/tutorials/ARNET_and_MAD_MAPPER.pdf
artnet seem to be something like DMX over ethernet…
but all depends on what you want to do with your matrix display …
I’m also new to that, but visual arts is quite interresting.

if you use a remote controlled vlc on other computer like here Controlling VLC via RC (“Remote Control”) interface using a UNIX domain socket (and no programming) | N0T a Blog
or send from your master computer depends on you, and your master computer. using the master could be simpler, but add one more job to it…

Also keen to do this!

I have some matrix panels inside some helmets my friend and I wear when we DJ sometimes. Previously they had lower res panels (16x32), and they played gifs off an SD card with a Teensy 3, but we’ve upgraded it to higher res panels (32x64) and Raspberry Pi 4’s

We also VJ and do event lighting etc, so would love to get it working wirelessly on a more standard format, so they can be controlled by a lighting operator or VJ (or ourselves on stage)

Would love to control it with artnet or NDI from Resolume Arena.

Yet to find a working method for doing this!

With regular led strip it’s all so easy… just get an advatek pixlite controller and drive led strip with artnet. But these Matrix panels appear far more complex to drive, and consequently, there’s less in the way of solutions to use!

@Noiseboy917 did you ever have any luck with this?
@jens I took a look at the Pixelpusher stuff, and initially got excited (until I remembered I’d explored this direction a year ago with no luck)

the artnet stuff isn’t available for download
and it looks like pixel pusher is more centred around their own hardware products than helping DIY people? I could be wrong though!

Hi 4ndrw,
well, first i’m not a VJ (but maybe i’d like to be :slight_smile: i just like colors and lights and take a look here and there…

the pixelpusher stuff (as i understand):

sudo ./pixel-push (…options)
“This will advertise itself as a PixelPusher”
so you don’t buy the hardware, your rgb panel is now the hardware:
“Number of ‘strips’ will be number of rows, so 16 or 32 multiplied by the parallel panels (1 … 3).”

the artnet is build in in your software, something like DMX over network
the manual from https://resolume.com/docs/Resolume-Handbuch-Deutsch.pdf
says they support only artnet (thats fine…):

"Leider verwendet jeder USB DMX-Hersteller sein eigenes proprietäres Protokoll. Dies macht die Wartung zu einem Albtraum, falls sie überhaupt korrekt funktionieren. Daher haben wir uns entschlossen, nur ArtNet basierte Geräte zu unterstützen. Art-Net ist ein Branchenstandard. Wenn Ihr Gerät also Art-Net unterstützt, wird es in Resolume funktionieren. Jetzt und für alle Zeiten. "

the english manual is less informative :slight_smile:

in theory you run GitHub - hzeller/rpi-matrix-pixelpusher: PixelPusher protocol for LED matrix. on your pi’s and see the device in Resolume Arena (asuming you have your panels working and a network configured…)

gice it a try
jens