RPI to ElectroDragon driver board to 32x64 led matrix

Hello, my name is Ger from the Netherlands.
I am trying to let a 32x64 led-matrix working with normal (8bit) characters.
This is giving problems.
Is there someone who can explaine to me how i run te matrix (Python3) with Raspberry Pi, ElectroGragon RGB matrixpanel drive board , 64*32/Led Matrix Module Rgb P5 Panel, Python3, with normal characters?

Many thanks in advance for helping me with this for me new matter
Greetings Ger

What have you tried, and what doesn’t work?
Are you getting the normal demos included with the code, to work ok?

Dear marcmerlin,

Thanks for a response.
I have not tried, I want to keep everything intact.
I have been in contact with Henner Zeller and he has explained to me where the necessary files are located.
What I want to achieve is with a Raspberry pi a matrix screen that can scroll normal text from left to right.
I have several LCD2004 HD44780 20x4 running and was easy to install but screen is a bit too small.
My question: step by step installing (which) drivers ElectroDragon RGB matrix panel drive board and a Python script that executes the action. What I’m a bear afraid of is controlling the Gpio.

Thank you in advance for any clarifying explanation

Sorry, I don’t use the python interface, I’ve only used C++ for now.
I know what you want to do, you’ll have to look on the internet if someone has written python scrolling code you can re-use, or write your own.
The electrodragon board does not require special drivers.
Again, did you compile and run the basic examples given the library?
Do they work?
If not, what commands did you type?

"https://www.hackster.io/idreams/getting-started-with-rgb-matrix-panel-adaa49#toc-install-the-library-4
"say Install Prerequisites

sudo apt-get install -y --force-yespython2.7-dev python-pillow python3-dev python3-pillow libgraphicsmagick++-devlibwebp-dev
git clone https://github.com/hzeller/rpi-rgb-led-matrix.git
cd rpi-rgb-led-matrix
make all
make build-python
make install-python

Do i need this because Python3 already excist?

So yes, i am going to try to make it working

to make sure your matrix and board are working, start by building all the code, and run demos in rpi-rgb-led-matrix/examples-api-use/
(demo is a good one)

As for your python question, honestly I’m not certain, I’ve never used it. My guess though it that it builds python buildings and installs them in your local python, so you should probably run them
(I very much doubt they install python itself on your system)

For Python i try.

This is C++ how can i run that on the Raspberry Pi, same as Python?

you’ll need to find someone who wrote it in python, and maybe that’s no one. In that case, you’ll have to write it.
I pointed you to those demos to make sure your matrix was working, which is always good before you start with new unproven code.

marcmerlin, thanks for helping me

It works fine after some expiriments.
Text is scrolling etc and in Python.
Now find out how to change the script

Good to hear.
For next time, If I may, none of us are paid support people :wink: Please do your best to read and diagnose problems yourself before asking questions, and then ask clear questions
I find that http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html is a great read, and helped me get better help when I needed it :slight_smile: